MINNEAPOLIS (BVM) – There’s a long list of NFL players who’ve found success competing on ABC’s “Dancing with the Stars.” Now, NFL running back legend Adrian Peterson is trading in his football cleats for ballroom shoes as he’s set to compete in Season 32 of the reality “DWTS” competition.
Peterson is one of the top 50 greatest players in Minnesota Vikings history (2007-2016). After 15 years in the league, his 14,918 career rushing yards are ranked No. 5 in NFL history. He’s a seven-time Pro Bowler, a former NFL MVP and is likely a future Pro Football Hall of Famer. Peterson hasn’t officially retired on the record from the NFL, but he hasn’t played in the league since 2021 (with the Seattle Seahawks).
Vikings fans may want to tune in to vote for Peterson who is eager to win the coveted Mirror Ball Trophy with his professional partner, Britt Stewart. He’s one of 14 celebrities who will learn ballroom dances which include the Salsa, Waltz, Cha Cha, Quickstep and the Tango.
Historically, over one-third of the winners from “DWTS” have been professional athletes – and four of them were NFL players including Emmitt Smith, Hines Ward, Donald Driver and Rashad Jennings. Overall, NFL players tend to make it very far in the dance competition.
Every NFL player who has competed on “Dancing with the Stars”
- Jerry Rice: The wide receiver was the runner-up in Season 2.
- Emmitt Smith: The running back was the winner of Season 3.
- Jason Taylor: The defensive end was the runner-up in Season 6.
- Warren Sapp: The defensive tackle was the runner-up in Season 7.
- Lawrence Taylor: The linebacker was the seventh person eliminated in Season 8.
- Michael Irvin: The wide receiver was the ninth person eliminated in Season 9.
- Chad Ochocinco: The wide receiver placed fourth in Season 10.
- Kurt Warner: The QB was the eighth person eliminated in Season 11.
- Hines Ward: The wide receiver was the winner of Season 12.
- Donald Driver: The wide receiver was the winner of Season 14.
- Emmitt Smith: The running back came in fourth place in Season 15.
- Jacoby Jones: The wide receiver came in third place in Season 16.
- Keyshawn Johnson: The wide receiver was the first person eliminated in Season 17.
- Michael Sam: The defensive end was the third person eliminated in Season 20.
- Doug Flutie: The QB was the fourth person eliminated in Season 22.
- Von Miller: The linebacker was eliminated halfway into Season 22.
- Antonio Brown: The wide receiver was eliminated more than halfway into Season 22.
- Calvin Johnson Jr.: The wide receiver came in third place on Season 23.
- Rashad Jennings: The running back was the winner of Season 24.
- Terrell Owens: The wide receiver was the eighth person eliminated in Season 25.
- Josh Norman: The cornerback was the runner-up of Season 26.
- DeMarcus Ware: The linebacker was eliminated halfway into Season 27.
- Ray Lewis: The NFL linebacker withdrew from Season 28 due to an old injury that flared up early in the competition.
- Vernon Davis: The tight end was the fifth person eliminated in Season 29.
- Adrian Peterson: NFL fans can watch Peterson perform in the ballroom when “Dancing with the Stars” Season 32 premieres on September 26 at 8 p.m. ET on ABC and Disney+.